Hey, neighbors! Joanne Gallo here with the latest Mineola Daily.
First, today’s weather:
Windy; a few morning showers. High: 58, low: 48.
Here are the top stories today in Mineola:
- In the ongoing debate over the report that the Mineola Union Free School District overbudgeted by $20 million and collected more taxes than needed, the Office of the State Comptroller in Albany responded to the Mineola School Board‘s defense. While the board stated that no funds were misused and that all surplus would go towards school district improvements, the State Comptroller’s Office rebutted that if the board had developed a more reasonable estimate, Mineola homeowners could have paid less school taxes. (The Island Now)
- The Mineola housing market will stay hot for the rest of the year, according to preliminary data, in spite of the usual fall and winter real estate slump. The low supply of existing homes for sale will continue to drive house prices up, with the median sale price for a single-family home in Mineola for June through August reported to be $692,500. (Mineola Patch)
- Edward J. McGurk, 83, passed away last month. Born and raised in Mineola, McGurk earned his B.S. degree from Hofstra University in Hempstead while tending bar at his father’s establishment, McGurk’s Tavern in Mineola. McGurk married and raised three children in Morganville, NJ, and moved to Brevard County, FL, in 1988. (SpaceCoastDaily.com)
Today’s Mineola Daily is brought to you by our friends at GoodRx — the best way to save money on your prescriptions. GoodRx helps you locate the lowest prices for medications at local pharmacies, so you’re not overpaying. Works for pet medications too! To see how much you can save, go to GoodRx.com.
- St. Aidan School – Williston Park: “A little rain doesn’t stop a successful day! Special thanks to our faculty, staff and volunteers for braving the rain during morning arrival!” (Facebook)
- Our Lady of Victory School – Floral Park: “Hey Alumni and OLV Friends: Check out this school fundraiser! https://shop.meadowfarms.com/index.asp?PID=3043955” (Facebook)
- Family & Children’s Association: “Our President and CEO, Dr. Jeffrey Reynolds is taking on Ironman Florida where he will swim, bike and run 140.6 miles to benefit FCA’s life-saving services as the holidays approach. Can you help him cross the finish line with a donation?” (Facebook)
- Long Island Council on Alcoholism & Drug Dependence: “LICADD’s Anger Management program teaches individuals new skills to more effectively manage anger, improve relationships, solve problems and improve overall quality of life. Call us today to learn more about our programs and services at (516) 747-2606 or (631) 979-1700.” (Facebook)
- Lutheran Counseling Center – Mineola: “Check out this unusual item on LCC’s online Silent Auction! You can own this framed replica of Luther’s 95 Thesis–what a conversation piece for a devout Lutheran to own!!!! Please check out this and our other online auction items. All items will be shipped free anywhere in the U.S. The auction ends tomorrow night at 10:00 p.m. Don’t wait! All proceeds go to LCC’s Silent Samaritan program and other educational mental health programs! Give back to LCC by helping us today! Thank you!.” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- FREE WEBINAR: “What Every Person Needs To Know About Estate & Medicaid Planning” (October 28)
- “The Play That Goes Wrong” — Get $43.21 Tickets This Friday Only! (October 29)
- FREE Trunk or Treat at the Rock Church (October 31)
- Save 15 Percent On Boo-tiful Flowers This Halloween! (October 31)
- Add your event
You’re officially in the loop for today. I’ll see you around! If you’re into these newsletters, consider bringing some friends and neighbors on board. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Joanne Gallo
About me: Joanne Gallo is a lifelong resident of Long Island and a writer/editor for 30+ years. After earning a B.A. in Journalism and an M.A. in Writing from NYU, Joanne edited and produced engaging, quality content for a diverse array of consumer publications, from the Johns Hopkins White Papers to Soap Opera Weekly. Raised in the nearby town of Roslyn, Joanne is happy to call Mineola her home for the past 7 years. She loves the arts, dining, gardening and all the natural beauty that Long Island has to offer.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Mineola Daily? I’m all ears. You can reach me at Mineola@Patch.com.
Read More: 🌱Mineola Schools Over Collected Taxes + Housing Market Still Hot